Fess up: What did you do on the machine today?

What have you rowed today?
Use the "Fess Up" sticky to add the workout you've managed to get in the bag today!
stu9560

Fess up: What did you do on the machine today?

Post by stu9560 »

Just wondering if an ongoing single thread is better than lots of individual ones for announcing our own rowing exploits and encouraging others. Of course, if I'm speaking out of turn Lord RowAlong can tell me off or delete this. Or everyone else can just ignore me :lol:

Declaring a mid tier workout this morning: 4 x 5 minutes, of which 4 minutes at 24 spm 2k+12 and the last 1 minute at 30 spm eyeballs-out max effort, 2 minutes recovery in between. A cheeky little session, short and sweet and rather sweaty, blew out some cobwebs. The PM was showing 1.5x during the sprints and I don't see that very often so I am content.
stu9560

Re: Fess up: What did you do on the machine today?

Post by stu9560 »

No RA workout today, instead a leisurely 5,000 metres at 20 spm and 2k+20. Legs were rather creaky after a tough 10-mile running race yesterday (there be hills here in Cornwall) and the erg is just the ticket for flushing them through and shaking them out.
RowAlong
Site Admin

Post by RowAlong »

Great idea. I've turned this into a sticky, and filtered it so that only this post shows.

Today - I didn't row. I ran. 11.3km on the treadmill (Zwift Tour Of Watopia Stage 4)

Long and slow, still trying to get my fitness back after the Winter Flu!

Tell me what you did!

John
RowAlong
Site Admin

Post by RowAlong »

My plans for today - including whether I did it or not!!

1) 30 minute walk on treadmill while learning Spanish = DONE
2) 4 x 10 minute Low intensity Row (filming for RowAlong)
3) Weights (Legs today)
4) Kayak training (Rescue session)

And around 9 hours of work...

John
stu9560

Post by stu9560 »

RowAlong wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:28 pm
Today - I didn't row. I ran. 11.3km on the treadmill (Zwift Tour Of Watopia Stage 4)

Long and slow, still trying to get my fitness back after the Winter Flu!
Urgh, the dreadmill. Sooner you than me! I'm lucky to have coastal path, sandy heathland, and beach to run on. But I didn't fancy it in stormy conditions today so ...

Declaring mid tier this morning: 5 x 6 minutes 28 spm 2k+5, 5-minute rests.

According to the instrux "the 5 minute rest may seem luxurious after the first interval, but trust me - you'll need every second of it". I did! I use 2:00 as my 2k pace so happy with the numbers. Had to dig deep on the final effort. A good session, I enjoyed it in a strange masochistic way.
RowAlong
Site Admin

Post by RowAlong »

Great result. It’s a really good session. The two toughest parts are allowing 5 minutes rest; and then the final interval!!
Ceebs.CBDB

Post by Ceebs.CBDB »

I started the RA 10k plan again, hope to complete it for the third time before the daily sunny weather arrives.

In my third year of rowing, I’ve come to accept that my workout intensities go in waves; in the summer I often run more than row, in the winter, I definitely row more than run.

I had beat myself up for not getting in my rows or runs in, until I realised that the above is the pattern, so I decided to lean into this and see how it goes!

So 2024 will be about less negativity in not reaching my 5 rows /3 runs per week but accepting that winter I focus (but not solely) on rowing and summer I’ll focus on running (with some regular rowing).

I think I recently read someone else’s post with a similar sentiment, so that also gave me confidence to lean into this. 2024 … roll on!
juergen

Post by juergen »

Just started the get fit by rowing series and it seems I need it badly :(

I am 48 and overweight (where is my super heavy weight category?). I have no issues rowing for 30-60min at around 2:50/2:55 splits, but this HR Zone 2 is a mess. In your plan you say (stay in the middle)... but with 20s/m I am always going into Zone 3 (not a lot, but still), I then tried to go down to 18s/m. Got a bit better, but I always climbed back into Zone 3. So then I lowered DF (the workout shows 110, but I think in the end i was more like 100) and everytime I hit zone 3 i did a ~10-15sec break to get down in 2 again.

So my plan is to do this series once and then start it a second time and compare ...
RowAlong
Site Admin

Post by RowAlong »

juergen wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:09 pm Just started the get fit by rowing series and it seems I need it badly :(
Don't sweat the numbers (no pun intended) right now. If you're unfit and packing a bit too much love, then you just need to get moving and burn some calories. If you DO want to chase Zone2 - then you'll find your body is getting there quite quickly because it's trying to circulate blood around your whole body. You'll find that as you lose weight, it'll get easier to hit these numbers - but right now, it may be worthwhile just going by the perceived effort scale, not HR.

Bottom tier should get you out of breath, like climbing up 10 flights of stairs, but it shouldn't feel tough.

Good luck though. Having been 230lbs at one point, and needing to take charge of my own body, I know how the beginning is a bit of a task!!
stu9560

Post by stu9560 »

Welcome Juergen. Stick with it, it does become easier, honest. And keep us posted about progress!
Ceebs.CBDB wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:53 am ... I’ve come to accept that my workout intensities go in waves; in the summer I often run more than row, in the winter, I definitely row more than run.
Similar, I like to alternate running and rowing days. But here on the Atlantic coast sometimes the weather doesn't play ball, so that's when the erg comes into its own.

Today's session was bottom tier, to shake out the legs after an energetic run yesterday. Instrux were 5 x 7 minutes 20 spm 2k+20 with 1-min rests. But I forgot it was 20 and in a senior moment went for 18 spm.

On the one hand that was annoying because I find 18 spm hard and 20 is my natural rate at this pace. On the other I suppose it was beneficial because it forced more concentration on getting a decent drive. Must pay more attention next time, doh.