Hello from Norfolk, UK

Introduce yourself
Helen Hogan

Hello from Norfolk, UK

Post by Helen Hogan »

Whilst I never think folks want to hear about me, I really love hearing a bit about you all. It adds another layer of wonderfullness to an already wonderfully positive community.

I’m 55 and 5’ 3” and a bit, and only started erging a few years ago. I’m no competition for anyone 😂. I’ve never had any coaching and have learnt all I know from John and listening to folks here at RowAlong. So many people here are amazing at sharing their knowledge. Thankyou all.

I love the outdoors and try and do all my physical things out in the elements, regardless of the weather. No such thing as bad weather, apparently 😜.

Although I’ve now got hooked on functional fitness aka Hyrox type stuff, and spend a couple of sessions a week inside with weights, wall balls and wondering if my head is screwed on straight, i also like to get muddy at bootcamps, cold on the north Norfolk coastal rowing boat, and knackered on my kayak, along with the now occasional open water dips, and lengthy pedals around the beautiful Norfolk countryside. I try and fit in a run when I remember! But I have a dreadful memory 😜

I love the challenge of an endurance event, and the thrill of a HIIT or sprint. I’ve swam the entire length of both Lake Coniston and Lake Windermere at 5 and 10 miles respectively. In 2020/2021 I rowed an average of 13k every day for 12 months to reach 3000 miles. It was in memory of a close friend. Both challenges taught me a huge amount about myself, and life!

After that, I found RowAlong and tried to undo all the bad habits I’d picked up in the 12 months. But I found more than a great rowing resource. I found the most incredible bunch of like minded positive folks I’ve ever known.

Keep smiling, keep talking, keep rowing ❤️
RowAlong
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Norfolk, UK

Post by RowAlong »

I don't know if I've ever said this on any of the videos, but I grew up (well, 2-5) in Taverham, Norwich. Lovely place. I should really go back one day, but I'm sure everything I remember will have changed by now!

John