Welcome to the RowAlong Community, relaunched for 2024

Please help it grow by registering and posting. And of course, get in touch with me if you have any feedback on this community.

Rates of Calorie burn and recovery

Discuss nutrition tips and advice for rowers.
Share insights on how to stay healthy and fit while rowing.
Casper Blom

Rates of Calorie burn and recovery

Post by Casper Blom »

(Not sure if this is the right place to post)

Since 3 weeks I own my own C2 after having rowed for a couple of decades on others' machines. Rowing to me provides a form of meditation and yoga and I tend to spend longer times on it with anywhere between 1-3 hours per session. Am looking for stroke efficiency versus breathing ease.
My goto pace is a slow 22-23 spm at around 170Watt (2:06-2:08 pace). Yet at 180cm I weigh in around 74kg (2.3Watt/kg), so a 1 hour row sees me burn still over 900kcal which feels too much. That burn rate is somehow sustainable for those 3 hours, however it feels like I am eating my own body and I have no desire to lose weight or fat any further.

If I want to continue to row longer sessions in a sustainable efficient way, what should I particularly pay attention to?
RowAlong
Site Admin

Re: Rates of Calorie burn and recovery

Post by RowAlong »

Are you using the Concept2 readout for your 900Kcal amount? It can be a little off. That said, you're probably still going to be around 800 per hour.

If you exercise, you're going to use energy. There's no real way around this. The best thing you can do is to fuel your body properly.

Everyone's "Properly" is slightly different. So work out what's best for you.

I wish I could get the time to do what you're doing!! ;)