Welcome to the RowAlong Community, relaunched for 2024

Please help it grow by registering and posting. And of course, get in touch with me if you have any feedback on this community.

Steady SPM and differentiated power

Focus on proper rowing techniques and form.
Share videos, articles, and advice on improving rowing technique.
Casper Blom

Steady SPM and differentiated power

Post by Casper Blom »

What aspects of the rowing stroke do people change, and in what order, when they row at fixed stroke rate (say 23 spm) and vary their power at that same fixed stroke rate?
Do you vary stroke length, motion speed, catch, leg range of motion, vs arms & back etc?
It seems easy and natural that with change of stroke rate power output changes. However, when keeping stroke rate constant... power output change is a slightly different story....
Curious to your views
willhoyer

Re: Steady SPM and differentiated power

Post by willhoyer »

That's a good question. I'd like to think I don't change my form, but maybe I do. I did kinda-sorta try experimenting with a form change in this month's C2CTC event where we are rate-limited to 20spm; I tried pulling the handle up towards my neck in the first interval. It felt so unnatural, though, but it's critical to get every bit of power possible in the first interval this month since it's the only one where you need to start from a static flywheel.
Cuz

Re: Steady SPM and differentiated power

Post by Cuz »

I'm new to rowing, and struggle with pace. By rowing along with the RowAlong videos I can match and maintain Stroke Rate, but my Pace is all over the place. I can't even keep it "somewhat consistent" through even 8-10 strokes. How does one learn to row at a somewhat steady pace?